Divers searching a capsized Italian cruiseliner were hoping for calm seas on Thursday after the ship shifted precariously on a rocky ledge, delaying plans to remove oil from the vessel to prevent a possible environmental disaster. Five days after the Costa Concordia struck a rock and capsized off the picturesque Tuscan island of Giglio, hopes of finding anyone alive have faded and salvage experts are preparing to pump 2,300 tons of fuel from the hulk. Weather conditions, which have been largely good since the 114,500 ton vessel ran aground, are forecast to worsen over coming days, making the ship even more unstable and complicating the search for survivors and bodies. Eleven people are confirmed dead and 22 are still missing from more than 4,200 passengers and crew who were onboard when the Concordia foundered on Friday evening, two hours into a week-long cruise of the western Mediterranean. The search was suspended all day on Wednesday after the ship slipped by some 1.5 meters, the second such suspension since rescue attempts began. As darkness fell, a spokesman said the Concordia had stabilized but it was unclear if the search would resume before daylight on Thursday. Environment Minister Corrado Clini told parliament…
- Coronavirus live updates: SF temporarily bans cars on key streets in Golden Gate, McLaren parks
- Coronavirus live updates: SF bans cars on key streets in Golden Gate, McLaren parks
- Holidaymakers face six-month wait for travel refunds as airlines struggle to deal with colossal backlog of claims with £7billion owed to customers
- British Airways could pull out of Gatwick and cut a quarter of its pilots, leaked memo reveals
- Ryanair vows to refund 25million customers in six months: Michael O'Leary insists he will take 50% paycut from £3m salary as he slashes 3,000 jobs - while Heathrow sees 97% drop in passengers in last month
- The Party's OVER: Social bubble could be limited to just 10 family and friends until 2021 as scientists warn weddings, birthdays and church are the worst coronavirus 'super-spreader events'
- I foiled an assassination attempt on the president in a GTA 5 flight sim roleplay server
- Coronavirus live updates: Anonymous donor gives $1 million to Santa Cruz hospital workers
- Coronavirus live updates: US says China hid severity of outbreak to hoard supplies
- Coronavirus latest: Global cases surpass 3 million
Weather key to resuming search of capsized Italy liner have 360 words, post on at January 8, 2012. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.