PANO – More than 400 best drawings of the third Vietnam Press Cartoon Contest–Rong Tre Cup (Bamboo Dragon Cup), “Environment and ecological change”, were put on display at a week-long exhibition at 61 Ly Thai To, Hanoi, on March 28 th.
Launched in November 2011 by the Sports and Culture Newspaper, under Vietnam News Agency, to mark the 85 th anniversary of Vietnam Press Cartoon, the 3 rd contest attracted the participation of 100 amateur and professional cartoonists with many unique drawings reflecting recent urgent problems, such as climate change and rising sea level that are affecting the life of 22 million Vietnamese.
The first prize went to the painting, “Upside Down Jigsaw”, by artist Tran Hai Nam, who drew a picture of a one-horned rhino jigsaw with a piece placed upside down. Through the painting, Nam wants to send a message, “After rhino, which animal will be at risk of extinction”, to visitors to remind them of the extinction of rhino. The second prizes were presented to Ha Xuan Nong with the painting, “Black River”, and Nguyen Huu Loc with “Fossil Fish”.
The contest is regarded as an interesting playground for Vietnamese cartoonists to show their talent, and its success once again affirms the indispensable role of cartoon to Vietnamese fine arts in general, and in press in particular.
Translated by Tran Hoai
- Bản in : Vietnam Writers' Association showcases best works
- Vietnam Writers' Association showcases best works
- West Ham make hard work of FA Cup win over League One Shrewsbury Town
- Photo contests showcase Hanoi, Saigon from different angles
- Best works from 2010 Vietnam Photo Contest on display in Hanoi
- 15 lesser-known gems to look out for in this World Cup
- AFF Cup Team of the Tournament: Norshahrul Idlan leads four-strong Malaysia contingent
- FIFA World Cup 2018: Group E
- Can I be fired for watching the World Cup at work and will I get in trouble if I pull a sickie?