Striker Robin van Persie came out on top in the battle of the Premier League’s top scorers as Manchester United emerged from a tricky test unscathed against arch-rivals Liverpool. The Holland international continued his remarkable scoring spree with a close-range effort in the first half which was doubled after the break by Nemanja Vidic. Liverpool substitute Daniel Sturridge overshadowed team-mate Luis Suarez, who began the day one behind Van Persie on 15 top-flight goals for the season, by marking his league debut for his new club with a second goal in as many matches and had a chance to snatch a point late on, but United held on grimly, if somewhat unconvincingly. Subs: Amos, Anderson, Giggs, Hernandez Goals: Van Persie 19, Vidic 54 Booked: Evra Liverpool: Reina, Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Lucas (Sturridge 46), Downing, Gerrard, Allen (Henderson 80), Sterling (Borini 62), Suarez Subs: Jones, Carragher, Shelvey, Robinson Goal: Sturridge 57 Booked: Allen, Skrtel, Johnson, Agger Referee: Howard Webb (S Yorkshire) Attendance: 75,501 It was billed as the battle of the Premier League’s two best strikers. Unfortunately it never lived up to the pre-match hype. Van Persie – expertly and clinically – scored with virtually his first chance and could…
- Manchester United beat Arsenal as Robin van Persie haunts former club
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer must win Europa League for Man Utd playing ‘attractive football’ or risk axe, says Robin van Persie
- Man Utd hero Van Persie calls for extraordinary joint-interview with Pogba and Solskjaer to clear up Frenchman’s future
- How a Christmas dinner helped convince Van Persie that Arteta was a coach in the making
- Manchester United want Wolves forward Diogo Jota, a good deal?
- Manchester United v Sunderland – as it happened
- De Gea v Henderson: Who is the future of Manchester United?
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic exits Manchester United with his legend enhanced
- Manchester United to succeed with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, says Ed Woodward
- Liverpool sink West Ham for record-equalling 18th successive win
Manchester United 2 Liverpool 1: Fergie's men hold on to seal win over bitter rivals after Van Persie and Vidic strike have 308 words, post on at January 14, 2013. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.