Top US lawmakers began rallying behind President Barack Obama’s plan to launch military strikes against Syria to warn the regime and nations like Iran that the world will never condone chemical weapons. After a passionate plea by US Secretary of State John Kerry not to succumb to “armchair isolationism” after last month’s attack in a Damascus suburb, lawmakers drafted a bipartisan measure imposing a 90-day deadline for any US military intervention. It would also ban the deployment of any US troops on the ground in the war-torn nation, where fighting now in its third year has claimed more than 110,000 lives. The dramatic developments came as the UN refugee agency released grim new statistics revealing more than two million people had now fled the violence in Syria. “This is not the time for armchair isolationism. This is not the time to be spectators to a slaughter. Neither our country nor our conscience can afford the cost of silence,” Kerry told the Senate Foreign Relations committee. He warned that other countries such as Iran and North Korea, under fire for its suspect nuclear programs, were closely watching. “They are listening for our silence,” Kerry intoned, during a sometimes heated debate with…
- McConnell Admits He Was Wrong on Obama Pandemic Plan: ‘I Clearly Made a Mistake’
- Coronavirus live updates: Livermore ‘reopen’ rally draws mayor’s rebuke
- Pandemic planning becomes political weapon as deaths mount
- As Obama Prepares to Join Campaign, Trump Moves to Discredit Russia Probe Started Under His Watch
- REVEALED: Trump's pandemic 'plan' that press secretary waved at reporters was savaged in wargame report she was also holding - which warned of medical supply shortages, inadequate funding, and federal confusion just months before outbreak
- Donald Trump claims he DID have a pandemic plan and makes his press secretary brandish it and attack the Obama administration's playbook - as whistleblower slams lack of preparations
- Lindsey Graham will NOT meet Donald Trump's call to summon Barack Obama for questioning about Mike Flynn's prosecution as he cites 'executive privilege' concerns after Trump demands '50-year sentences'
- Nikki Haley Steps Up in Syria Crisis
- Democrats rally behind monthly $2,000 relief checks
- Michelle Obama to lend star power to Biden
Top US lawmakers rally behind Obama Syria plan have 356 words, post on at September 4, 2013. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.