Source: Owen Bissell, used with permission. Josh Izenberg is a surfer and award-winning documentary film director based in San Francisco. Recently, Izenberg has been exploring the power of “surf therapy” and being in the ocean to alleviate symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Josh contacted me a few days ago to talk about his latest documentary, Resurface, which focuses on surfing and the ocean as treatment options for PTSD. Resurface brings to light the therapeutic benefits that spending time in the ocean and learning to surf have for veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder. For this film, Josh brought together the same amazing team he used for SLOMO which includes: Wynn Padula, Scott Stillman, and director of photography, Owen Bissell. Last year, I wrote a Psychology Today blog post, “Slomo and the Neuroscience of Being in “The Zone,” about Izenberg’s previous documentary. SLOMO is a short film about a neurologist named John Kitchin who quit his job over a decade ago in order to lead a more spiritual and less materialistic existence. Kitchin spends his days and nights rollerblading along San Diego’s Pacific Beach boardwalk and has mastered the neuroscience and art of getting in “the zone” and staying there. On Memorial Day, Josh and I spoke on the phone at length about his Resurface project. In some ways, the… Read full this story
- Surfing is a diverse sport. Why are surf brands so white?
- Surfer Bethany Hamilton survived shark attack aged 13 but prospect of becoming a mother was another challenge to face
- Recent Study Finds Cannabis Aids Treatment-Resistant Depression And Alcohol Dependency
- Bradley Cooper steps out in shorts and a One Tribe Foundation T-shirt to run errands in Los Angeles
- ‘I have never seen so many nurses cry during shifts’ – the mental health of NHS workers is on the brink
- North Carolina's Outer Banks are a slice of heaven if you love undeveloped beaches, small towns and personality (we do!)
- What to say (and not to say) to someone with anxiety
- How to Lead Through Employee Mental Health Issues During Covid
- Victoria Pendleton health: ‘I feel psychologically damaged’ Star's difficult health battle
- The Best Way To Relieve Stress, Based On Your Zodiac Sign
"Surf Therapy" and Being in the Ocean Can Alleviate PTSD have 359 words, post on www.psychologytoday.com at May 28, 2015. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.