On the outside, this giant fruit resembles something out of the Jurassic era and emits a sweet yet putrid stench. But don’t be fooled: The fruit, known as a jackfruit, is being hailed as a “miracle” crop that could save millions from starvation. And the unique fruit inside of it is just the beginning of the jackfruit’s many wonders. Jackfruit is the largest tree-borne fruit in the world – one fruit can weigh between 10 and 100 pounds and contain hundreds of seeds that are rich in protein, potassium, calcium, and iron – all of which are important for bodily growth. This enigmatic fruit is native to South and Southeast Asia; it is rare to find jackfruit in the US. Luckily, Chinatown in Manhattan sells whole, fresh jackfruit. To get a first-hand look at this leathery, prickly food, Business Insider trekked from the Flatiron district to Chinatown where we spotted a jackfruit being offered by one of the many street vendors. The vendor was selling it for $2.50 per pound. It is common to purchase freshly sliced jackfruit by the pound, but we were on a mission to learn everything we could about this monster fruit, so we bought the… Read full this story
- On this day: How farmer pulled off greatest hoax in history
- Top 10 budget restaurants and cafes in Brighton
- IPCC report: The world gets hungrier, but the land is exhausted – from us and from climate change
- Plant-based diets needed to limit climate change
- Net-zero by 2050: What does it mean?
- The best free-to-play games of 2019 will help frugal gamers survive
- All 59 startups that launched today at Y Combinator’s S18 Demo Day 2
- Invading iguanas tear through Florida's ecosystem
- The new elite
- The Chargers' Doctor Is A Drunk Quack. Why Haven't They Fired Him?
Experts are hailing this exotic fruit that tastes like pulled pork as a ‘miracle’ crop, which could save millions from starvation have 285 words, post on www.businessinsider.sg at September 12, 2015. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.