HA NOI (VNS) — Belgium and UN Women today jointly launched a cartoon competition on gender titled “Gender Equality: Picture it” during the first semester of 2015, with a similar contest in Europe.
The competition is part of the international campaign “16 Days of Activism to End Violence against Women and Girls” which runs from November 25 to December 10 to bring the message of zero tolerance against sexual violence as well as other forms of violence against women and girls in all over the world.
Co-organised by UN Women, Belgium, and the Vietnam Women’s Museum with the support of Wallonie-Bruxelles International, the contest offers a platform to the Vietnamese society to picture the positive changes they want to see regarding gender equality.
The competition invites Vietnamese people aged above 18 years, to picture their understanding of women’s rights and gender equality through cartoons. More than 10 prizes will be offered. Detailed information on the contest can be found at www.btcctb.org, or Facebook site http://on.fb.me/1MpgZl6.
“Patriarchal attitudes and gender stereotypes contribute to treating women as subordinate members of the family or society. They also affect how women are treated and perceived by public institutions and societal structures,” UN Women Country Representative, Shoko Ishikawa, said.
“High prevalence of violence against women, the increasing trend of son preferences as well as discrimination in law such as unequal retirement age are manifestations of such social norms. Abolishing negative gender stereotypes is therefore essential to achieving gender equality.”
“This contest is a chance for Vietnamese artists to challenge gender stereotypes through illustration of cartoons to illustrate what gender equality looks like” she claimed.
Speaking at the event, J. Roccas, ambassador of the Kingdom of Belgium said, “Some cartoons can play an important role in raising awareness. This is why I believe that this cartoons competition will contribute to promoting gender equality in Viet Nam” she added.
Deadline for applications is January 18. —VNS
- Final Fantasy XIV’s Gear Design Is a Shining Example of Gender Equality in Games
- Rhianna Pratchett on game development, gender equality and #1ReasonToBe
- Just Cause 3’s Mech Land Assault Expansion Gets an Awesome 90s Cartoon-Inspired Launch Trailer
- Dream it. Code it. Win it. Programming Competition Launches
- New Shattered Horizon Competition Launches!
- UK CyberCenturion Competition Launches in Search for Young Cyber Security Talent
- Canadian Vortex Game Competition Launches Submissions
- New FIFA Esports competition launched by Eredivise
- $5 Million AI Competition launched by X Prize and IBM
- U.S. Congressional Caucus For Entertainment Technology Competitiveness Launched