In a note to clients, Paul Mortimer-Lee and Bricklin Dwyer of BNP Paribas suggest the Fed has “delivered a very rapid tightening in financial and monetary conditions,” and they have dubbed this the “Great Monetary Tightening.” The duo says while the Janet Yellen-led Fed has increased its federal funds rate by only 25 basis points, the “shadow” federal funds rate, or “the rate that, using past relationships, would be consistent with the level and shape of rates seen in the rest of the curve” has actually tightened by more than 300 basis points since May 2014. BNP says this equates to more tightening than the 1994 cycle. This so-called very rapid tightening of conditions was the result of three things, according to BNP:The Fed tapering its quantitative-easing program. The completion of Fed asset purchases. Switching the Fed’s forward guidance to data dependent from date dependent. The tightening of conditions has been accompanied by a 25% rally in the broad trade-weighted dollar, which although does have its benefits, like making US imports cheaper, has wreaked havoc for multinational American companies by making exports more expensive and by reducing overseas sales as they are converted back to dollars. Iconic US brands like… Read full this story
- Stability remains watchword for monetary policy in 2021
- IMF welcomes establishment of BRICS bank
- IMF urges countries to continue strong fiscal, monetary support
- How will NBFCs be impacted if RBI tightens regulatory norms?
- Virgil — The Great Reset Updated: You Might Not Have Heard of NGFS, but NGFS Has a Plan for You
- Katrina, Vicky, Madhuri, Rakul And Others Congratulate Anushka Sharma And Virat Kohli As They Welcome Daughter
- Britain's great vaccine plan: Boris promises 2m doses a week by end of January at 2,700 centres - including 50 mass hubs - with NHS staff poised to go door-to-door amid calls to offer jabs 24/7 as PM reveals 2.5m have now been inoculated
- Bachelor vet Catherine Giudici reveals she has lost 20lbs since welcoming her third child by relying on a meal plan system: 'Feeling so grateful'
- Soldier-turned-beauty queen who was once commended for punching an Iraqi insurgent in the face claims competing in Miss Great Britain after becoming a mother is scarier than war
- World leaders welcome Biden with praise, pleas, and parting shots at Trump
Welcome to the ‘Great Monetary Tightening’ have 366 words, post on www.businessinsider.sg at February 20, 2016. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.