MADRID (AP) The Latest on the publication by a coalition of media outlets of an investigation into offshore financial dealings by the rich and famous (all times local): 11:55 p.m. The Panamanian law firm at the center of a big document leak, Mossack Fonseca, served as an official intermediary for a company sanctioned by the U.S. government for its ties to Zimbabwean leader Robert Mugabe, according to U.S. Treasury Department records. In 2008, the Treasury Department barred American citizens and companies from doing business with Billy Rautenbach, a Zimbabwean businessman, and one of his companies, Ridgepoint Overseas Developments Ltd. The U.S. also sought to freeze Rautenbach’s assets because of what it said were his ties to corrupt Mugabe officials on a large-scale mining project, according to a Treasury Department press release at the time. According to the Treasury Department’s release, Ridgepoint listed Mossack Fonseca’s office in the British Virgin Islands as its official address. The sanctions meant the company and Rautenbach were barred from U.S. business until 2014. Mossack Fonseca said in a statement Monday that it never knowingly worked with people with ties to Zimbabwe. The law firm said, ”If for some reason, unbeknownst to us, some company formed… Read full this story
- Laws that deter companies from going public cost our economy dearly
- Trump-Era Special Counsel Secures Indictment of Lawyer for Firm With Democratic Ties
- Durham Is Said to Seek Indictment of Lawyer at Firm With Democratic Ties
- Police Investigate Allegations That Alex Murdaugh Stole Funds from His Law Firm
- I Worked in Legal Compliance at Top Law Firms in New York City and Learned 3 Crucial Things About Effective Negotiation
- Panama Papers' Source Explains Motivation Behind Leak
- Panama Papers Feature Dozens of Americans Accused of Financial Crimes: Report
- Protests in Reykjavik as Iceland's PM refuses to resign over Panama Papers
- Iceland PM stands aside following Panama Papers leak
- 300 Economists Sign Open Letter Against Offshore Tax Havens After 'Panama Papers'
The Latest: Panama law firm helped company tied to Mugabe have 318 words, post on www.foxsports.com at April 4, 2016. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.