Đỗ Tuấn Đức and Phạm Như Thảo seen on podium with their bonus after winning the Canada Open badminton tournament on July 3 — VNS Photo
The Vietnamese duo beat No 4 seed Nico Ruponen and Amanda Hogstrom of Sweden 21-9, 10-21, 21-13 in the final.
It is their first-ever international title and brought them 5,500 points. They are expected to enter the world top 50 when the next world ranking is released later this week.
At present, Việt Nam have Nguyễn Tiến Minh and Vũ Thị Trang among the world’s top 50 badminton players.
Đức, Thảo and their teammates arrived in Los Angeles to take part in the Yonex US Open which starts today.
Minh is seeded No 7 and will play Austrian David Obernosterer in the men’s singles event.
Trang is not a seeded player and she will face No 6 Iris Wang of the hosts in the women’s singles.
Duo Minh Bảo and Dương Bảo Đức will meet Japanese Taiki Shimada and Yoshinori Takeuchi in the men’s doubles.
Canada Open Champions Đức and Thảo will meet Abhishek Ahlawat and Jing Yu Hong of the hosts in the mixed doubles.
The finals are scheduled for Sunday./.
- Mila Kunis Pens Open Letter Calling Out a Male Producer's Sexist Bullshit
- The Right Fighter For Canada Is The Super Hornet, Not The F-35
- Regional hospital management forum opens in Hà Nội
- How Tippi Hedren Jump-Started the Vietnamese Nail Salon Monopoly
- Bianca Andreescu beats Serena Williams to win her first US Open and grand slam title
- Canada Wades Into The Fight Against ISIS With Dated Weaponry
- London 2012 gets the Paralympics rolling with another spectacular opening ceremony featuring Britain's brave and inspiring athletes
- Canada's Auto Workers Union Fears The Death Of Their Country's Car Industry
- How a Team of Volunteers Discovered Canada's Deepest Cave
- The PlayStation 4 Is Now $50 More Expensive In Canada