DR CONGO: At least 42 civilians have been killed in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, a local official said Sunday, in what the government described as a massacre in revenge for military operations in the area. Three days of national mourning have been declared following Saturday night’s mass killing, the latest in a series of massacres that have left more than 600 people dead in and around the troubled town of Beni since 2014. Speaking to a local radio station, Beni mayor Edmond Masumbuko said 42 people had been killed. The government had earlier put the death toll at 36. Army spokesman Mak Hazukay said the attack was carried out by the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), a partly Islamist armed group of Ugandan origin. The group has been present in DR Congo for more than two decades and is accused of copious human rights abuses. Hazukay said the ADF rebels had “bypassed” army positions “to come and massacre the population in revenge” for military operations in the area. The victims were found in Rwangoma, a neighbourhood on the outskirts of Beni, according to government spokesman Lambert Mende. Mende said the government has previously sought to “alert the world to… Read full this story
- Fighting continues in DR Congo
- Fears of instability as hopes fade for DR Congo talks
- DR Congo Ebola deaths top 2_000
- Role for Berlin in salvaging DR Congo elections?
- DR Congo opposition in disarray
- Anti-Kabila electoral protests turn violent in DR Congo
- UN Blames Rebels for Flight of Displaced in DR Congo
- Fierce Clashes in DR Congo Despite Ceasefire Promises: UN
- DR Congo Senate alters disputed bill after deadly protests
- Recycling garbage in DR Congo crisis city
42 killed in troubled east DR Congo Goma have 269 words, post on www.manilatimes.net at August 15, 2016. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.