‘We want an immediate stop to the violence. This is cruel.’ Angry Muslim protesters took to the streets from Jakarta to Dhaka on Friday to denounce Myanmar over allegations of indiscriminate killing and rape in a military crackdown on the country’s Rohingya Muslim minority. Around 5,000 Bangladeshi Muslims demonstrated in the capital Dhaka after Friday prayers, with hundreds more protesting in Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta and Bangkok to accuse Myanmar of ethnic cleansing and genocide in its northern Rakhine state. Muslim-majority Malaysia’s Cabinet also issued a statement condemning the violence, an unusually strong criticism against a fellow member of the 10-country Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN). “Malaysia… calls on the government of Myanmar to take all necessary actions to address the alleged ethnic cleansing,” the statement said. It said the Myanmar ambassador would be summoned over the crisis and that Malaysian Foreign Minister Anifah Aman would meet with de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi and other top Myanmar officials “at the earliest possible date.” Up to 30,000 Rohingya have abandoned their homes in Myanmar to escape the unfolding violence, the U.N. says, after troops poured into the narrow strip where they live earlier this month. Rohingya are denied citizenship… Read full this story
- Rape and murder of teenage girl sparks mass protests in India after politician arrested
- The Meeting Between Trump and Putin Sparks Several Protests – Here Are the Most Notable Ones
- ‘Pork lover’ bus sparks vegan protest in city centre
- Iraqi PM suspends electricity minister over power crisis amid mushrooming protests
- Ex-leader's arrest sparks Catalan protests
- Post-crisis regulation cost investment banks' capital markets arms £26bn per year, study finds
- Mounted police intervene as 'Become a Pork Lover' bus sparks vegan protest
- Georgian Police Raid On Clubs Triggers Protests In Capital
- Graphic video of Thurman Blevins shooting that sparked mass protests is released by police
- What is the Rohingya crisis in Myanmar and what did Pope Francis say after meeting Aung San Suu Kyi?
Myanmar crisis sparks Muslim protests in Asian capitals have 326 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at November 25, 2016. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.