Top Vietnamese swimmer Nguyễn Thị Ánh Viên was disqualified in the women’s 400m freestyle finals at the FINA World Swimming Championship (25m) in Ontario, Canada, on Wednesday morning.
Katinka Hosszu of Hungary won the gold medal, while Ella Eastin and Madisyn Cox of the US won the silver and bronze medals, respectively.
In the qualifying round, Viên had clocked a time of 4:32.19 to finish first in her lane and earned a spot to compete in the final round.
Việt Nam’s other player Lê Nguyễn Paul ranked 25th of 72 swimmers in the men’s 100m backstroke.
Four Vietnamese swimmers are taking part in the tournament, which will end on December 11.
- Mary Kom to start quest for 7th gold as 4 boxers get seeded at AIBA Women's World Boxing Championships 2019
- World Wrestling Championships: Vinesh & Seema reach repechage to keep India’s medal hopes alive
- World Test Championship Points Table: India lead after resounding win, New Zealand and England bounce back
- The Observer view on the World Athletics Championships: a sport in crisis
- World Wrestling Championships: Bajrang Punia, Ravi Dahiya win bronze medal in Nur-Sultan
- ICC World Test Championship: Australia consolidate position at second spot after Pakistan thrashing
- ICC World Test Championship: Australia consolidate second spot - Full points table
- Pankaj Advani claims top billing in knockout stage of World Billiards Championship
- World Wushu Championship kicks off in Shanghai
- World Wrestling Championships: Sushil Kumar loses in opening round