Black sites, renditions, and all those other War on Terror-isms that had supposedly been consigned to an earlier and darker period of America’s counter-terrorism efforts seem to be making a comeback. But they were an absolute horror show the first time around, and here’s why. The Washington Post obtained what it claims is a draft version of an executive order reauthorizing a review of interrogation guidelines, along with the continued operation of the Guantanamo Bay prison facility and the possible re-introduction of a number of Bush-era policies, including interrogation of terror suspects outside the United States. During a briefing on January 25, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer didn’t deny the document’s authenticity, opting for the classically non-denial denial-type formulation that the draft was “not a White House document.” Regardless of where in the executive branch it may have originated, the draft is consistent with President Donald Trump’s repeated endorsement of torture over the course of the campaign—even when it puts him at odds with his own retired general turned Defense Secretary—as well as with his accusations that President Barack Obama had placed “political correctness” above national security in responding to terrorism. According to this view, “political correctness,” and not concerns… Read full this story
- “History will not judge this kindly”: Pursuing justice for the first victim of the CIA’s torture program
- The 10 Best Moments In Black Television In 2018
- Black Water Review
- Gina Haspel's CIA nomination is a women's milestone we'd be wise to avoid
- No consensus on CIA nominee Haspel
- Goodwin: Donald Trump now has to battle CIA spies in Dems’ war against him
- Artist on Artist: Brian Chippendale of Black Pus and Lightning Bolt talks with Seth Sher of Zath and Psychic Steel
- The 2019 List of Things Black People Are Too Ashamed to Talk About
- Amazon Workers Across Europe Protest Black Friday, Citing Grueling Work Conditions
- We interviewed comedian Eric Andre on 9/11. What could go wrong?
All The Shit That Can Go Wrong With CIA Black Sites have 317 words, post on foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com at January 31, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.