She beat 190 competitors to take the lead with a time of 2:16.06.
In the women’s 100m backstroke, the 18-year-old swimmer also won a silver medal with a time of 1:04.07.
The Vietnam Aquatic Sports Association said reigning Youth Olympics champion Vien has been named among those who would be awarded scholarships for receiving training support from the United States Swimming Federation for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil.
Earlier, Military team’s Vien qualified to compete in the women’s 400m medley and 200m backstroke events at Rio.
Born in the Mekong Delta city of Can Tho, Vien is now working with Anthony Teeters who guided Ryan Lochte to achieve success, in Episcopal club in the United States. She also spent two years training in Saint Augustine Club in Florida.
Vietnamese coach Dang Anh Tuan said Vien was among the world’s top 20 female 400m medley swimmers and was playing for an American club, two conditions that helped her qualify to receive support from the United States Swimming Federation.
At 2014’s event, Vien won three gold medals in the women’s 200m medley, 400m medley and 200m backstroke events.
Also in that year, Vien won two Asian Games bronze medals that were Vietnam’s first ever at the Games. She also set seven records at the ASEAN Swimming Championships, and dominated the national tournament with 18 titles and 14 records.
Vien has been voted the best athlete of the year for the second time in a row.-VNA
- VN's top swimmer Anh Vien aims to make a splash at ASIAD
- Sports Minister Saddiq defends Malaysia’s Israeli ban after being stripped of right to host para swimming championship
- Asian Games: Pinay golfer Yuka Saso wins gold in dramatic finish
- PH trackster Obiena wins gold in Universiade
- German team '1st MC Erzgebirge' wins World Marbles Championship
- Shaun White wins gold medal in men's halfpipe with near-perfect run in dramatic finish
- Petron marketing wins Gold in Southeast Asia PR awards
- 2018 World Judo Championships: Japan beats France to win gold, bronze for unified Korea and Russia
- Indonesian sprinter wins gold medal in world athletic championship
- Indonesian martial arts team wins gold medals in Belgium