The Mekong province of Hau Giang will host the Mekong Delta Economic Cooperation (MDEC) Forum 2016 which will feature discussion about the Delta’s international integration and sustainable development.
The forum will include the Mekong Delta Week to be held from April 22 to 26 in Hanoi. The week will include a show of cai luong (reformed theatre) at My Dinh Stadium and a conference on the cooperation between the Mekong Delta and Hanoi and other cities and provinces in the North.
Nguyen Phong Quang, Deputy Head of the Steering Board of the Southwest Region and Head of the Hau Giang MDEC Forum 2016, spoke at a press meeting in Can Tho city on November 24 to introduce the forum.
Quang said the conference would include a seminar on agricultural production in the delta in response to climate change and rising saltwater as well as a trade-fair to promote products and services from the region.
In the past several years, bank credit had significantly contributed to socio-economic development of the delta, he said. Credit growth in the region had been higher than in other regions across the country.
Credit policies issued by the State Bank of Vietnam have helped direct credit influxes into a number of economic sectors, aiming to create a “breakthrough” in restructuring the region’s economy and its agriculture, as well as to build a model of new rural areas in the Mekong Delta, according to the official.
In addition, banks have also taken an active part in social welfare programmes in the region.
Quang said the financial support of US$21.4 million provided by donors to the Mekong Delta during the MDEC Soc Trang 2014 included US$17.5 million contributed by commercial banks, plus VND50 billion the banks provided to the construction of Tran De Hospital in Soc Trang province.
- Mekong Delta Economic Cooperation Forum to start in July
- Ben Tre to host 2015 Mekong Delta “Prudential-Good Essay, Good Writing” contest
- Tokyo to host first Belarusian-Japanese economic forum on 10-11 May
- Mekong Delta’s wasted potential
- Breakthrough needed for Mekong Delta’s economic growth
- World Economic Forum not to hold India Economic Summit this year
- Mekong Delta region’s master plan to be reviewed
- Hau Giang projects to cost $660m
- Hau Giang stimulates tourism
- Mekong Delta week to raise region's profile