A 16-year-old runner who texted his mother that he was being chased by a bear as he competed in a popular race over mountainous terrain was killed Sunday just south of Anchorage.The teenage boy, whose identity has not been released, was competing in the juniors division of the Robert Spurr Memorial Hill Climb, a race that is in its 29th year. The race director told KTUU that the runner was beginning his descent near the halfway point on Bird Ridge Trail, which takes runners up a mountain that rises over the Seward Highway between Anchorage and Girdwood. Juniors race to the halfway point, about 1.5 miles from the start, before heading down.”The mother was here with her family, her children,” Anchorage Police Dept. Sgt. Nathan Mitchell told KTUU. “They were running the race.”Sightings and encounters with bears are not unusual in Alaska. “I’ve been running in the mountains for 30 years,” Brad Precosky, a race director, said. “People come down off the trail and say they’ve run into a bear. Sometimes that means nothing; other times, it’s really serious. Like this.”When a member of the runner’s family received the text message, he sought Precosky. “I went off and talked to… Read full this story
- Mother of teen killed after smoking synthetic marijuana says Sen. Rand Paul has 'blood on his hands'
- California boy, 4, accidentally shot and killed in family’s yard after men open fire in argument: cops
- New Jersey’s bear hunt is barbaric
- Kashif Parvaiz, husband of mother slain next to tot, charged in her murder, another woman arrested
- Heartless thieves steal jug of money donated in honor of 5-year-old boy fighting cancer
- Australian teenager killed by lightning same day his dad texts to see if he was still alive
- Schizophrenic babysitter confesses to sexually abusing, killing Staten Island 16-month-old
- SEE IT: 'Drink bleach and kill himself': Bullies tell 13-year-old Washington state boy: report
- Police to comb south Brooklyn, Staten Island in search of Patrick Alford, a troubled young boy who vanished 5 years ago
- Former Mich. Catholic school tutor: 15-year-old boy 'forced me to have sex with him'
Boy texted mother as bear chased, killed him during race in Alaska have 347 words, post on www.mcall.com at June 19, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.