Australian labour exchange platform Freelancer this week celebrated reaching 24.64 million users — making it a community larger than the nation that produced it. The milestone takes the size of the company’s ecosystem past the population of Australia, which has a population of just over 24.5 million people according to official government estimates. Freelancer was established in Sydney in only 2009. Founder and chief executive Matt Barrie told Business Insider he had shaped the Freelancer platform to be a nation in its own right. “We actually think of Freelancer as the first country in software — a virtual country,” he said. “We have an economy, a GDP, we have employers hiring people, workers, a rudimentary financial system where payments are made to the freelancers, a legal system – dispute resolution and arbitration.” Barrie said that in terms of “GDP” — or the value of work facilitated through the platform — if Freelancer was a country it would rank 185 out of 187 nations in the world. “While we’re 25 million people and not generating anywhere near the GDP that Australia’s generating, it is rising rapidly. And we are a virtual and frictionless marketplace – we don’t have the constraints that… Read full this story
- Government to offer incentives for NT move, as part of $50m population strategy
- Australia is heading for a 'disaster' as population soars - while a transport boss warns passenger-free cars won't even fit on roads
- China's rare-earth boost threatens U.S., Australia growth plans
- How Australia's Justice Michael Kirby helped India's first openly gay prince combat sex ban
- Increasing Newstart benefits would reduce inequality across the country. See how any changes could affect you
- How Smartphones Got a Conservative Nation Hooked on Porn
- Is the CFMMEU the most unlawful organisation in the history of Australia's industrial laws, as Christian Porter says?
- Top 10 national and state parks in Oregon
- Drugs, sex, bestiality and even Nazi salutes: The complete A-Z guide to Australia's BIGGEST football scandals
- Countries from Siberia to Australia are burning: the age of fire is the bleakest warning yet
Freelancer's user base just surpassed Australia's population, and Matt Barrie sees it as a nation in itself have 328 words, post on www.businessinsider.com.au at July 13, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.