SHREVEPORT — The snaggletooth kid peered through the black iron fence.“Pootball,” the 5-year-old said to his mother.Without those missing teeth, Greedy Williams could not pronounce the first letter of the word that described the activity he witnessed on the other side of that fence, the sport he now plays at LSU.He pointed to the action in the adjacent park, crying to his mother from the parking lot of their home, a row of low-income apartments on Illinois Street in southwest Shreveport.“People call it the projects,” Lakesha Williams says.There, in that parking lot some 15 years ago, Lakesha Williams’ life changed. Subsequently, so did the lives of Greedy and her other three children, all of them within five years of one another, reared by grandma, aunts and a single mother who, at that time, was the age of a college senior.“Pootball,” little Greedy repeated. “Pootball.”The game of football does not often save a family. Sure, an NFL player’s multimillion dollar signing bonus can give a poverty-stricken group a palatial lifestyle, but this isn’t that.A 5-year-old’s interest in the game pulled this family out of the “hood,” they say, and compelled Lakesha to slow and then cease her partying ways, she admits.“It… Read full this story
- Fans without football have been left staring into a howling void
- Robins, Trotter and Potter: footballers who share their club's nickname
- 'Little is being done': One year on from Bulgaria, football's fight against racism and discrimination is only just beginning
- Prince William echoes mum Diana as he meets Royal Marsden cancer patients
- Garbiñe Muguruza defeats Serena Williams to win French Open final
- 'Dementia in football is rife and the game is not doing enough to help'
- Chelsea bring Cech ‘back home’ and hope he will work closely with Lampard
- Prince William Reveals How He Wants to Be Seen by Prince George in 20 Years
- 'Beggars can't be choosers': football pyramid reacts to Project Big Picture
- Why are young girls unable to play football when boys of same age can?
How football and Greedy Williams came together to save his family, provide hope have 334 words, post on www.theadvocate.com at September 28, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.