Sputnik spoke to Tong Zhao, a fellow of nuclear policy at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace think tank, to ask if the West expects too much from China with regards to influencing the behavior of Kim Jong-un’s government. Sputnik: China has argued in the past that the leverage and influence the West says it has over North Korea is often exaggerated, do you agree? Tong Zhao: I don’t think Western countries deliberately exaggerate Chinese leverage, but I think they certainly overestimate Chinese leverage. Basically, China, as it economic sanctions on North Korea, is taking on higher and higher economic and security prices. China’s local economies have been undermined as a result, and most importantly, North Korea has started to openly threaten China. © REUTERS / KCNABeijing on Trump’s Call to Downgrade Diplomatic Ties With DPRK: China Fully Implements its Commitments There were reports that North Korean senior officials said that their intermediate-range ballistic missiles can reach every corner of China. So the more China does to threaten the North Korean regime, the North Korea-China bilateral relationship could become a hostile one, and North Korean missile capabilities could become a direct security threat to China. So, those are the constraints on Chinese leverage over North Korea, which I don’t think most Western countries sufficiently appreciate. Sputnik: China claims that it is abiding… Read full this story
- South Korea masses tanks on North Korea border and warns it will ‘respond strongly’ after Kim blew up government office
- Neither East, Nor West, Only China | Opinion
- Japan says coronavirus adds to security threat by China
- Will South China Sea Dispute Lead to World War?
- Beijing Calls for Dialogue Between North, South Korea Amid Rising Tensions
- Exclusive: Japan may still build Aegis Ashore despite reports of cancellation, source says
- Now that Putin is Xi’s ‘best and bosom friend’, where does that leave the west?
- US v China: is this the start of a new cold war?
- The four China strategies Trump or Biden will need to consider
- How US THAAD Deployment in South Korea is ‘Shooting Mosquitoes With Cannon’
EXCLUSIVE: West 'Overestimates' China's Influence Over North Korea have 343 words, post on sputniknews.com at November 8, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.