The UK and Canada have launched a global alliance of 20 countries committed to phasing out coal for energy production.Members including France, Finland and Mexico, say they will end the use of coal before 2030.Ministers hope to have 50 countries signed up by the time of the next major UN conference in Poland next year.However some important coal consuming nations, including China, the US and Germany have not joined the group.Reducing global coal use is a formidable challenge, as the fuel produces around 40% of the world’s electricity at present.As a highly carbon intensive source, coal contributes significantly to the rising levels of CO2 emissions that scientists reported earlier this week.Researchers say that if the world is to curb dramatic temperature rises this century then coal use must be limited.Called the Powering Past Coal Alliance, this new initiative sees countries, regions and provinces, signing up to setting coal phase-out targets and committing to no new investments in coal-fired electricity in their national jurisdictions or abroad. No sacrificeThe UK has said it will end the generation of electricity from unabated coal by 2025. Unabated means that the coal is burnt without capturing the resulting carbon emissions.Already, the move away from coal… Read full this story
- The shackles are off! UK can lead world with green revolution as Brexit ends EU rules
- U.S., U.K. lead global push back against China in Hong Kong
- Climate change: How the UK contributes to global deforestation
- Climate change: Make coal history says PM after climate warning
- ‘Rapidly expanding’ China poses ‘SERIOUS threat’ to the UK, claims BOMBSHELL study
- Brexit victory! Swiss boast about how easy it is to deal with UK after EU exit
- EU fisheries fury: How Brussels forced UK to throw fish back into sea – ‘Disgraceful!’
- UK to launch £5billion Galileo replacement as MoD identifies EU 'security flaw'
- Justin Trudeau left red faced as Canada named highest CO2 producer in G7
- Coal sector gets a fresh lease of life. India has to do more
UK and Canada lead global alliance against coal have 330 words, post on english.vietnamnet.vn at November 16, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.