Corrections & Clarifications: A previous version of this article misspelled Sonny Perdue, secretary of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. President Donald Trump’s insistence on renegotiating NAFTA, largely with the aim to trim America’s trade deficit in manufactured goods, has some people in the agricultural field worried as the U.S. runs a sizable trade surplus in that industry.Sonny Perdue, secretary of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, sought to allay those concerns Thursday in Phoenix during meetings with agriculture representatives. He also listened to grievances.“His negotiating style is to go to the brink, make people think we are willing to walk away from the table,” said Perdue, speaking about Trump.“But I do believe the president wants a deal,” he said, adding that the North American Free Trade Agreement has been favorable to all three nations — the U.S., Canada and Mexico — on agriculture issues. NAFTA talks have been taking place in Mexico City.Perdue, who worked in the fertilizer business before entering politics and becoming governor of Georgia, also used his first official visit to Arizona as Agriculture secretary to acknowledge concerns that tighter immigration policies could leave American farms short-handed during harvest time — and to stump for a repeal of the estate tax as part… Read full this story
- Trump to announce plan to boost biofuel demand soon: U.S. agriculture secretary
- Trump likely to unveil biofuel plan in 'the next couple of weeks': Agriculture Secretary
- Farmers remain critical of tariffs as US offers billions in aid
- Media and candidates should be ashamed that they don't talk about obesity
- US imposes increased tariffs on Chinese goods, despite talks
- ‘Difficult Situation’: US-China Trade War Ups Pressure on Struggling Farmers
- 5 Republicans who could replace Isakson in Georgia's Senate race
- The Hill's Morning Report - Gillibrand drops out as number of debaters shrinks
- Farm Aid was inspired by a farm crisis. Now in its 34th year, it faces another one.
- September Troubling Forecast: Anxiety in 15 prone states over poor preparations
Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue talks NAFTA, seeks to reassure farmers in Phoenix visit have 328 words, post on www.azcentral.com at December 1, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.