By Agence France-Presse The United Nations suffered its worst attack on a peacekeeping mission in nearly a quarter of a century on Friday when suspected Ugandan rebels attacked a base in the restive Democratic Republic of Congo, killing at least 15 peacekeepers. The UN Security Council said the peacekeepers, who were all from neighboring Tanzania, were killed in the North Kivu province late Thursday, alongside five Congolese soldiers, with 53 personnel wounded. UN chief Antonio Guterres led an outpouring of outrage over the deadly ambush, calling it a “heinous” act. “I condemn this attack unequivocally. These deliberate attacks against UN peacekeepers are unacceptable and constitute a war crime,” he said in a statement. Heather Nauert, spokeswoman for the State Department, said Washington was “appalled by the horrific act”. The attack is the worst loss of life to a UN peacekeeping force since 1993 when 24 Pakistani soldiers were killed in Somalia during clashes with a local warlord. DR Congo’s huge eastern region has long been wracked by violence, but fighting between government soldiers and militia groups, as well as inter-ethnic clashes, has increased significantly this year. North Kivu province, which borders Uganda and Rwanda, has seen a particular uptick in… Read full this story
- Death toll from Ebola outbreak reaches 2,150 in DR Congo: AU
- Ebola vaccine row in the Democratic Republic of Congo as aid workers accuse the World Health Organization of rationing an experimental jab
- Donald Trump Conveniently Ignores Anniversary of One of America's Worst Acts of Terror
- City of Joy: New hope for Congo's brutalised women
- Christmas travel could allow the killer Ebola virus to spread from the Democratic Republic of Congo to Uganda as officials warn the outbreak 'moves closer every day'
- Deadly pandemic threatens to sweep the world in hours and kill millions because NO country is fully prepared, report claims
- Burundi's security forces kill 14 gunmen in northwest
- W.H.O. Continues Emergency Status for Ebola Outbreak in Congo
- Ebola concentrated in Congo mining area, still an emergency: WHO
- Grenade attack injures four in western Rwanda: police
Worst attack on UN in recent history kills 15 peacekeepers in DR Congo have 329 words, post on news.mb.com.ph at December 9, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.