US technology giant Apple confirmed last week that iCloud services in mainland China will soon be operated by a Chinese company in a move to comply with the cybersecurity law enacted in June last year. According to a Chinese news report quoting Apple, Guizhou-Cloud Big Data Industry Development, owned by the Guizhou provincial government in southern China, will be responsible for iCloud operations in mainland China from February 28, 2018. Apple has begun notifying its Chinese iCloud account users about the service migration from January 10. iCloud accounts registered outside of mainland China will not be affected. Storing data locally will also improve the speed and reliability of its iCloud services products, according to Apple. Commonly seen information synchronised through iCloud include photos, videos, documents, and applications. Apple China singed a Memorandum of Understanding with Guizhou provincial government in July 2017, which also saw it agree to operate a $1 billion datacentre in the province. Apple’s move was made to comply with the newly enacted cybersecurity law in China, which came into force in June last year and demands that data belonging to Chinese citizens and organisations shall be stored within the country and operated by local Chinese companies. Apple… Read full this story
- China's looming great wall of debt may have 'major global implications'
- US-China trade war: Huawei's loss is Samsung's gain
- Missing Hong Kong bookseller Lee Bo believed to be detained in China
- China's tobacco monopoly means big risks for e-cigarette startups
- China encourages environmental groups to sue polluters
- North Yorkshire council backs first UK fracking tests for five years
- World's longest bridge further blurs lines between China and Hong Kong
- China backs bolder action to counter roots of Hong Kong unrest: official
- China regulator warns e-commerce platforms to stop monopolistic practices
- Apple and Amazon hit back at claims that their systems contained secret surveillance chips inserted by Chinese spies
Apple transfers iCloud operation in China to a local government-backed firm have 299 words, post on www.zdnet.com at January 14, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.