The leaders of the two Koreas made their way to the heavily fortified demilitarized zone between the countries early on Friday, seeking to end their decades-long conflict and ease tensions over the North’s nuclear weapons program. South Korea’s Moon Jae-in will greet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at the military demarcation line at 9:30 a.m. (0030 GMT), making Kim the first North Korean leader to set foot in the South since the 1950-53 Korean War. The two are expected to talk denuclearization and exchanges between the Koreas and also will plant a memorial tree at the border truce village of Panmunjom as part of the first inter-Korean summit in more than a decade. Friday’s summit will set the stage for Kim to meet with U.S. President Donald Trump in late May or early June, in what would be an unprecedented first encounter between sitting leaders of the two countries. Just months ago, Trump and Kim were trading threats and insults as North Korea’s rapid advances in pursuit of nuclear-armed missiles capable of hitting the United States raised fears of a fresh conflict on the Korean peninsula. Supporters hold South Korean flags waiting for a convoy transporting South Korean President… Read full this story
- Kim Jong Un Says N Korea Achieved 'Historic Success' in Nuclear Armament
- S Korean President Not Planning to Ease Sanctions Against N Korea to Hold Summit
- South Korean opposition leader shaves head in protest over government appointment
- Donald Trump to meet Kim Jong Un in Vietnam for second summit
- Donald Trump-Kim Jong Un summit: North Korea commits to 'complete denuclearization'
- Trump-Kim summit: Big win for North Korea and China, small one for US
- 'The Clock is Ticking': A Year on From the Singapore Summit Kim Jong Un Is Losing Patience With Donald Trump's Strategy
- What Trump Needs to Know Before Meeting with North Korea's Kim Jong Un | Opinion
- Mike Pompeo Explains How Donald Trump 'Fell in Love' With North Korea's Kim Jong Un: 'Relationships Matter'
- Trump Approval Rating Reaches Highest Mark in Almost a Year Following Historic North Korea Meeting
Leaders of two Koreas head for historic summit at DMZ have 339 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at April 26, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.