(Photo: Yonhap News)
The fire started at 13h10 local time at the Treeshade apartment construction site in the central administrative city of Sejong, sending flames and black smoke rising into the sky.
The smoke has been rising hours after the fire started. The firefighters are trying to reach the purported epicenter of the fire in the basement of the building, according to local media. Residents are reportedly suffering from toxic gas inhalation and have to cover their faces with masks.
49 fire trucks and 115 firefighters controlled the fire, a task complicated by the lack of a fire suppression system in the building.
Construction firm officials estimated the number of workers at the site at the time at 169.
The cause of the fire is under investigation./.Compiled by BTA
- Layton man allegedly killed dog, abused woman; later expressed desire to kill people
- Metal straws are killing people too
- If Obamacare is killed people will die, and you will pay
- Tornado kills people in Alabama, severe storms hit Southeast
- Reviewing a half-century of Gopher athletic chaos: Jerry Kill’s radio rant on P.J. Fleck nothing new at “The U”
- Man accused of tweeting 'I want to kill' held on $75,000 bond
- American police kill civilians at a shocking rate compared to other developed countries
- In the past 4 years, police have killed the same number of people
- After police killings, where do Alabama lawmakers go with criminal justice reform?
- Pentagon Identifies Soldiers Killed from Embattled Special Forces Unit in Afghanistan