Artist Megan Davis Taylor wants art to be fun for everyone and art exhibitions to be welcoming to all, including furry or feathery friends. So she’s not only exhibiting her portraits of conversing chickens, an alligator in sunglass, and an armadillo with a daisy in its mouth in her latest ARTSTATION opening, but she’s also putting on her best hand-painted, sparkly dress and “live painting” an exotic chicken to open the exhibition.
Dress artsy and come have some fun from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, June 20, at ARTSTATION at 801 Crockett St. at the corner of Common and Crockett Streets in downtown Shreveport. The event is free and open to the public.
Taylor’s childhood was spent growing up in the country. As an adult, she taught art to children and realized early on that it was important to use her art to transform those animals that were considered “ugly” or “scary” into something a bit more appealing. What can’t be made prettier with a little sparkle or gold leaf, some bright color or a sweet smile! Taylor’s subjects range from a napping fox to a trio of toothy camels and a whole host of chickens with wild hairdos in cackling conversation.
“I want my favorite things to be other people’s favorite things, too,” said Taylor. “Art should be fun, and if you’ve never been to an art exhibition, my ARTSTATION exhibition would be a great introduction. I’ve painted a dress that I plan to wear for the occasion, and I invite you to dress up in your favorite artsy attire. I’m even giving out favors—like a wedding party. Anyone can come. Everyone should come,” added Taylor.
Taylor will also be one of the featured artists for the ARTSPACE SUMMER CAMP series which runs through June 22 from 8:30 a.m. until noon Monday through Friday. Students ages 9 and up can register for the half day session where Taylor will use pencils, pastels and paint to help them create wonderful portraits of their favorite animals. The half day camp is $150 for the week and you can register online at www.artspaceshreveport.com/summer-camp or call 318-673-6535.
“A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS” exhibition of Megan Davis Taylor’s art opens Wednesday, June 20 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. and runs through Aug. 11.
More upcoming events:
Julie Crews “Getting There” Artist Talk
Dallas Artist Julie Cannariato Metal Clay Workshop
ARTSPACE Studio Artists “How I Do It”
- Gentle Gator Ferries Feathered Friend Across Wildlife Preserve
- Kendall Jenner dazzles in strapless form-fitting gown with furry accent for the annual Kardashian/Jenner Christmas Eve bash
- Veteran artists show silk paintings in Hanoi
- Neanderthals hunted golden eagles 130,000 years ago and may have prized their talons and feathers
- Art exhibition highlighting Vietnam-France friendship opens
- Water exhibition in Brisbane proves a wellspring of ideas for positive action against climate change
- The top 10 art exhibitions to see in 2020
- Furry Friend Finder: Nikolai & Pepe Searching For Their Forever Homes
- Duane Hanson: ‘An artist tailor-made for the age of the selfie’
- Top designer Công Trí reveals personality through fashion exhibition