American political candidates are again being targeted, a Microsoft executive said Thursday, by the Russian intelligence agency formerly known as the GRU. At the Aspen Security Forum, a gathering of top-level government officials and industry experts, Microsoft’s Tom Burt, vice president for customer safety and trust, said that his team had uncovered evidence that three U.S. candidates running for election in 2018 had been targeted. The attacker, according to Burt, was identified as the advanced persistent threat known to Microsoft as Strontium—though the hackers are more commonly called Fancy Bear, the codename given to them by cybersecurity firm CrowdStrike. (See also: Sednit, Pawn Storm, Sofacy, Tsar Team, Group 74, APT 28, Swallowtail, and Iron Twilight.) The names of the candidates who were allegedly targeted have yet to be released, but according to Burt, they are individuals who may have piqued Moscow’s interest “from an espionage standpoint, as well as an election disruption standpoint,” he said. The disclosure follows a whirlwind of Russia-related news that has virtually inundated cable news and social media since July 13, the day a U.S. District Court in Washington, DC, unsealed an indictment charging 12 Russian intelligence officers in absentia with conducting a months-long, covert campaign… Read full this story
- UK RAF Considers Reviving Cold War Drills to Tackle Alleged Russian Missile Threat
- How the U.S.-Russian Relationship Went Bad
- 5 unbelievable lake hikes in California's Russian Wilderness
- Taliban Has Seized Almost Full Control of Tajik Border, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Says
- Olympics-Russian athletes among most tested going into Tokyo Games
- Russians suspected of doping stopped from going to Olympics
- Tokyo Olympics: Russian Archer Recovers After Fainting in Scorching Heat
- Defence review to prioritise protecting undersea cables from Russian spy submarines
- The Russian lawyer Donald Trump Jr. met with got rich really quick, but how?
- A Russian accused of using bitcoin to launder 4 billion dollars is indicted by a U.S. jury
Again With the Russians have 309 words, post on gizmodo.com at July 19, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.