Tara Kamalapur, an H-4 visa holder, works as an IT project manager for a health care company in San Diego. / Photo by Maya Srikrishnan Spouses of skilled immigrant workers may soon be unable to work in the United States. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has indicated that it intends to undo an Obama-era regulation that allowed spouses of H-1B visa holders to work. The new rule is undergoing review and will be submitted to the White House Office of Management and Budget within three months, according to a Sept. 21 court filing. The proposed change has sent the future of thousands of families into flux, and could also have economic repercussions in parts of California with high numbers of these skilled foreign workers. H1-B visas permit U.S. companies to hire skilled foreign workers. Their spouses are allowed to accompany them with dependent visas, called H-4 visas. H-4 visa holders weren’t allowed to work until 2015, when the Obama administration said they could get work permits if they were in line for green cards. Indians accounted for more than 75 percent of H-1B visas in 2017, but can receive no more than 7 percent of green cards given out by the U.S. government annually. This… Read full this story
- Fantasy Baseball: Brad Hand complicates Indians' bullpen; Kirby Yates set to star in San Diego
- The Great Disrupter: How Kerri Walsh Jennings wants to change beach volleyball
- What play in NFL history do you wish you could change?
- Local talent eager to help Chicago Dogs make a successful debut
- Mike Scioscia says Vladimir Guerrero didn’t just rely on talent when he was with the Angels
- Legalized betting is coming to college football, and the SEC is bracing for impact
- Pay now, ask later: How the John Tavares contract impacts Maple Leafs' roster blueprints
- 2019 NFL Mock Draft: Rams, Vikings add more serious talent, Jaguars look to replace Bortles
- NFL training camp 2018: AFC West preview
- The Terrell Owens people have forgotten, or never knew existed
Change to Spousal Visa Could Impact San Diego’s Ability to Lure Talented Workers have 328 words, post on www.voiceofsandiego.org at September 27, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.