THE world’s first human case of ‘rat disease’ has been diagnosed after a man ate food laced with rat droppings. Scientists believe the 56-year-old in Hong Kong contracted liver disease and caught a type of hepatitis E (HEV) from the rodent. This revelation is of “major public health significance” because until now there was no evidence that the disease could be passed from humans to rats. In a statement researchers said: “This study conclusively proves for the first time in the world that rat HEV infect humans to cause clinical infection.” It was discovered after the man repeatedly produced abnormal liver function tests after a liver transplant. Tests soon revealed he had a strain of HEV, which can be fatal in humans if it goes untreated. It is believed he contracted the illness from eating food infected by rat droppings near where he lives on the Choi Wan housing estate in Hong Kong. Rodent problems have soared in Hong Kong after its long, hot summer. The man is recovering in hospital, according to the South China Morning Post. RISK TO MANKIND Next flu pandemic could be ‘DEADLIER than Spanish flu – killing 400m’ HORROR OP Mum left pooing through her… Read full this story
- Sen. Collins proposes $100 million to combat ticks, Lyme disease
- Health officials report 4 new measles cases in Washington
- Prosecutors drop charges over Flint water, vow fresh probe
- Ten 2019 food trends you’ll soon see everywhere
- Lawsuit alleges man died from E. coli in food prepared at Montgomery restaurant
- Living With Lyme Disease, Stronger With Love
- Three cases of rat lungworm disease confirmed in Hawaii
- Are the 27 cases of Ewing sarcoma near Pittsburgh a cluster?
- Pig disease outbreak in China pushes up global pork prices
- Albany woman has one of the world's most painful conditions
World’s first case of ‘rat disease’ diagnosed after man, 56, ate food laced with droppings have 289 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at September 28, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.