Specialist Michael Pistillo watches stocks plummet Wednesday on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange. NEW YORK — U.S. stocks plunged to their worst loss in eight months Wednesday as technology companies continued to drop. The Dow Jones industrial average fell 831 points. The losses were widespread, and stocks that have been the biggest winners on the market the past few years, including technology companies and retailers, suffered steep declines. Apple and Amazon had their worst day in 2½ years. The Nasdaq composite, which has a high concentration of technology companies, had its biggest loss in more than two years. Alec Young, managing director of global markets research at FTSE Russell, said investors fear that rising interest rates and growing expenses will erode company profits next year. “The tax cuts juiced earnings this year, and that’s not sustainable,” he said. “The market’s starting to say that the glass may be half empty.” The S&P 500 index sank 94.66 points, or 3.3 percent, to 2,785.68. The benchmark index fell for the fifth-straight day, which hadn’t happened since just before the 2016 presidential election. The Nasdaq composite tumbled 315.97 points, or 4.1 percent, to 7,422.05. It’s fallen 7.5 percent in just… Read full this story
- Stocks sink as US manufacturing shrinks again amid trade war
- 5 things to know before the stock market opens Wednesday
- UPDATE 2-WTO trade threats sink European stocks
- Stocks sink by more than 500 points as worries about economic growth linger
- Stocks sink as U.S. manufacturing shrinks again amid trade war
- Pension Funds Sink Billions Into a Whole New World of Risk
- Stocks accelerate losses amid increasing economic concerns
- Stock market rebound: Is it a brief bounce or a signal the drop on Wall Street is over?
- Africa: What Does 'Development' Actually Look Like? the Case of Lapsset
- Philadelphians feel squeezed as U.S. economy seems to hum. That's a poverty problem
Markets sink; loss biggest in 8 months have 302 words, post on www.arkansasonline.com at October 11, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.