The superhero gene went up, up and away in 2018 finishing with the year’s three top domestic box office releases (Black Panther, The Incredibles 2 and Avengers: Infinity War, with combined box office of $2 billion) and three more tentpoles ranked in the Top 10 (Deadpool 2 at No. 5, Ant-Man and The Wasp at No. 8 and Venom at No. 10). More surprisingly, the genre closes out 2018 with as a surprisingly viable contender in the Oscar race for best picture. Related How Paranoid Should Studios & Exhibitors Be About The Disney-Fox Merger In 2019? That contender, of course, is the Disney/Marvel Studios film Black Panther, a popcorn crowd pleaser that grew into a full-blown cultural happening thanks to the unexpected profundity of its sci-fi tale of gleaming Wakanda, the fictitious African nation that cloaks its existence behind a veil of futuristic technology but cannot hide from the dark secrets in its own past. Black Panther captured lightning in a bottle by blending its proud comic-book legacy (the character was the first black superhero when he was introduced by Marvel Comics in 1966) with civil rights history, sleek CG spectacle and of-the-moment music (Kendrick Lamar’s soundtrack led Grammy nominations with eight nods, including album of the year). It… Read full this story
- Disney Announces Release Schedule Of Doctor Strange 2, Black Panther 2, Avatar 2 & More
- Chadwick Boseman fought Marvel on key Black Panther detail
- Google reveals top searches in UK for 2018 - and the results are very revealing
- Will Hollywood Continue Its Progress on Diversity in 2016?
- Anthony Mackie Rightfully Calls Marvel Out for Its Lack of Diversity Behind the Camera
- Someone Was Missing at the 2018 Oscars
- This West Virginia pastor defied the odds to create a diverse congregation
- A Black couple says an appraiser lowballed them. So, they 'whitewashed' their home and say the value shot up.
- Black women helped push Democrats to the finish line in Georgia. Here's how they can do it again
- How to learn from Indigenous people about the Black Lives Matter movement here
Black Panther, Deadpool & Venom: 2018 Superheroes Flew In Face Of Tradition, Portend A Diverse 2019 have 321 words, post on deadline.com at December 31, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.