0 Have your say THE sheer single-mindedness required to be a top jockey is epitomised by Tom Scudamore’s reaction after he won horse racing’s Christmas centrepiece two years ago. He should have been on a high after the precocious Thistlecrack had become the first novice to land Kempton’s King George VI Chase on Boxing Day, one of National Hunt racing’s most celebrated contests. One of the most significant triumphs in his career, it was also a notable victory for trainer Colin Tizzard and his son Joe, a retired jockey, whose faith in Thistlecrack was matched by the likable Scudamore.Yet the post-race celebration never materialised, a nugget revealed in The Scudamores: Three Of A Kind (Racing Post Books, price £25) that was collaborated with the award-winning journalist Chris Cook.One of the racing books of any year, Scudamore’s insight on what it takes to be a rider dovetails with the reflections of his father Peter, the former champion jockey, and grandfather Michael whose reminiscences were thankfully recorded for posterity before his death in 2014.As well as revealing how the sport that made the Scudamores has changed from the risks that were taken after the war to the professionalism of today, the conversation… Read full this story
- What color should Main Street be? Fort Mill may pick how properties paint the town.
- I read six sycophantic pro-Trump books
- These are the 10 best-selling cars of 2017 -- so far
- Presenting Halftime Report's Best of Journalism, 2017
- These 15 restaurants are competing in the 2018 Sacramento Burger Battle
- Princeton Review lists Transylvania among nation’s top schools
- Full transcript: "Face the Nation" on August 19, 2018
- Kenny Chesney’s home was blown away by Irma. Here’s what the country star did about it
- Olympian Erin Hamlin Marries a Childhood Playmate
- 5A SIC football preview: Say goodbye to the ‘Big Four’ and hello to a new power
Book Reviews – Picking out the best racing books of 2018 have 306 words, post on www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk at December 20, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.