JACKSON, Miss. — Another unplanned outage at Mississippi’s Grand Gulf nuclear power plant outside Port Gibson is adding to regulators’ concerns over reliability problems at the largest single-unit nuclear power plant in the United States. The move is also heightening scrutiny over whether problems at Entergy Corp.’s plant may be affecting power markets. Operators took the southwest Mississippi plant offline last week, citing problems with a turbine bypass valve. Last Wednesday’s outage came to light Tuesday when the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission announced a special inspection. “The reactor was safely shut down but some equipment issues occurred that the agency wants to better understand,” the agency said in a statement. It’s at least the sixth unplanned decrease in output at the plant in the last 15 months, according to NRC documents. The plant has been running at reduced or zero power output for much of the time since 2016, according to an analysis published earlier this month by E&E News . “Over recent years, Entergy’s Grand Gulf Nuclear Station reliability record has not met the company’s standards,” spokesman Mark Sullivan wrote in an email Tuesday. He said the company has invested $265 million and hired about 200 employees seeking to improve operations…. Read full this story
- 'Would you feel safe if a nuclear power plant was near your house?'
- Story of Russia's Alleged Role in Czech Arms Depot Blast Smacks of UK-US Psyop, US Vet Says
- Connecticut Senator Chris Murphy Says U.S.'s Iran Sanctions Make Yemen Cease-Fire 'Hard'
- Tornadoes rip through Mississippi destroying buildings and downing power lines as more warnings issued
- Israel Prepares to Live with U.S.-Iran Nuclear Deal And Its Middle East Impact
- Will Scott Stringer’s Troubles Shake Up the Mayor’s Race?
- Germany, Russia and the Sputnik V vaccine — a tale of soft power
- 'Kudankulam is more a PR disaster than scientific'
- How the video game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. inspired a wave of real-world Chernobyl tourists
- Chinese university campus plan meets resistance in Budapest
Grand Gulf nuclear power plant troubles 'happening far too often,' Mississippi official says have 331 words, post on www.clarionledger.com at December 17, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.