Mia Love, one of five defeated GOP House members whom Trump mocked the day after the election. Photo: Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call,Inc. The obvious irony involved in this week’s bizarre Oval Office confrontation with congressional Democratic leaders was that the president went into it on the brink of avoiding a partial government shutdown and wound up defiantly bellowing his determination to shut it all down if he didn’t get exactly what he wanted in the way of border wall funding. But this unraveling of Trump’s position was made worse by another thing that happened in the meeting: Nancy Pelosi goaded him into insisting belligerently that he did too have enough votes from House Republicans in support of his full border wall demand. Now he may have to prove it, as the Hill notes: Now, [House Republican Whip] Scalise, Ryan and House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) are under enormous pressure to prove their ally in the White House was correct and that Pelosi, the likely incoming Speaker, was wrong.But it was still unclear late in the day whether Republicans would have enough votes to pass such a package on a party-line vote. Democrats have agreed to back $1.6 billion for border security but… Read full this story
- As Trump rescinds DACA, GOP lawmaker plans to force vote on bill to protect DREAMers
- 8 GOP House members whose votes on health care will be crucial
- Despite Trump effect, Michigan's GOP House seats look safe (for now)
- Donald Trump captures Ky GOP caucus
- Ricky Jones | Trump masked the GOP's warts
- GOP leaders disagree with Trump on vote fraud, discourage torture changes
- Just what we need, another war czar, Hil mocks Bush
- Leonard Pitts: Trump unfit for White House? So what are we?
- With GOP House takeover, it's 'now or never' to pass 9/11 bill
- Democrats Need to Make Getting Rid of the Electoral College a Top Priority
Oops, Trump Now Needs the Votes of Those GOP House ‘Losers’ He Mocked have 311 words, post on nymag.com at December 13, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.