COLUMBIA — South Carolina’s teachers would get a pay boost under legislation that aims to stem the tide of educators fleeing the profession, though proposals vary on how much of a hike they might see.They are among Senate bills introduced Tuesday in the wake of The Post and Courier’s “Minimally Adequate” series, which detailed the decrepit state of South Carolina’s education system. Legislators prefile bills to give themselves a head start for the upcoming session. The House will get its chance next week.Several bills would tie teachers’ salaries to the national average, increasing their pay by roughly $10,000. While Sen. Tom Davis, R-Beaufort, proposes phasing that in over several years, that could be a game-changer for a state that’s been chasing the Southeastern average since the 1960s.Many of South Carolina’s 50,000 teachers must work part-time jobs outside the classroom just to pay the bills. Earlier this year, legislators gave teachers a 1 percent across-the-board raise and boosted the minimum salary for starting teachers to $32,000. That’s still among the nation’s lowest for first-year teachers.Calls for education reform have intensified following the five-part Minimally Adequate series, which lays out how gaping disparities have left thousands of students unprepared for college or work… Read full this story
- The ugly part of the $900 billion stimulus bill
- Families WILL be allowed to meet over Christmas but face 25-DAY lockdown to pay for five days of festive freedom under Government plans - as Covid cases drop to 19,609 and deaths fall to 529
- How pardons went toxic: Donald Trump has maxed out on clemency controversy but pardoned far fewer people than his predecessors - with only Bill Clinton drawing such fury before
- It pays to have good friends! Oprah Winfrey's Instagram post promoting Duchess of Sussex’s coffee was ‘a million dollar post in free publicity’ putting Meghan and Harry on path to building a BILLION dollar brand
- India Trusted Source: Centre likely to blacklist some telecom equipment vendors
- 2021 Budget: Defence, police get lion share as Buhari jerks up education budget by 60%
- Death penalty to speedy trial: Know key features of Maharashtra's Shakti Act
- The Hill's Morning Report - At long last, Congress reaches COVID-19 relief deal
- Essential workers are risking their lives for us. What do we owe them?
- Melania ditches her thigh high boots and coat and changes into her stilettos and a dress on Air Force One as she leaves chilly DC for Christmas in the Florida sun
Pay hike for SC teachers among bills proposed in wake of Minimally Adequate series have 405 words, post on www.postandcourier.com at December 13, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.