Paul Drinkwater/NBCUniversal via Getty Images (2) The supporting actor and actress races often feel like the overlooked middle children of awards season, but if you look a little closer this year, both categories are full of substantial performances that should make for an exciting Oscar contest. On the supporting actor side, likely Oscar nominees include Mahershala Ali’s reserved musician in Green Book, Timothée Chalamet’s drug-addicted teen in Beautiful Boy, Adam Driver’s poker-faced cop in BlacKkKlansman, Sam Elliott’s stoic tour manager in A Star Is Born, and Sam Rockwell’s sprightly George W. Bush in Vice. For supporting actress, Amy Adams’ Machiavellian Lynne Cheney in Vice, Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz’s cunning Queen’s helpers in The Favourite, Claire Foy’s pragmatic astronaut’s wife in First Man, Michelle Yeoh’s no-nonsense matriarch in Crazy Rich Asians, and Regina King’s protective mother in If Beale Street Could Talk are all in contention. It was Ali and King who emerged victorious at Sunday’s Golden Globes, which could boost their Oscar chances: Last year, Allison Janney (I, Tonya) and Sam Rockwell (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri) won their supporting categories at the Globes and went on to win Oscars. But the Globes’ track record as an Oscar predictor is… Read full this story
- Oscars 2019: A review
- Oscars: ‘Ford V Ferrari’s’ Christian Bale And Matt Damon To Defy Conventional Wisdom And Go Head To Head On Best Actor Race Track
- Oscar Futures: Will Voters Recognize Tom Hanks As Mr. Rogers?
- "They Got the Wrong Envelope!": The Oral History of Oscar's Epic Best Picture Fiasco
- BAFTA nominations revealed: The Favourite and Olivia Colman lead the way
- Adam Driver, Scarlett Johansson, Joaquin Phoenix Latest Oscar Contenders Set For Film Fest Honors In Santa Barbara & Palm Springs
- Oscar nominations 2015: The Grand Budapest Hotel and Birdman tie for top honours
- Sam Mendes’ ‘1917’ Plunges Into the Oscar Race
- Racing! A deeper look at postponing the whip rule
- The leading man
The Awardist: Mahershala Ali, Regina King lead Oscars supporting races, but face stiff competition have 322 words, post on ew.com at January 10, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.