Keith Uhlig Wausau Daily Herald Published 9:58 AM EST Jan 22, 2019 TOWN OF TEXAS – The winningest sled-dog racer on the planet was lying in a hospital bed — her thighbone crushed, her kneecap cracked and her collarbone snapped — when her husband handed a cellphone to her. The voice Jan Bootz-Dittmar heard was familiar. Her daughter Jayme Dittmar was calling from a remote village in northern Alaska. “Are you dead?” Jayme asked her mother. Jan, 66, laughed and told her daughter she still was alive. But the town of Texas woman was also distracted. Health care workers were hovering around her, trying to insert an IV tube into her right arm. So she said she had to go, and hung up on her daughter. That left Jayme, 29, anxious, with questions: “So I’m a wilderness first responder, and I’m trying to put this in perspective: OK, how bad is this? If there are bones out of the skin, and it’s in the femur region, that means it’s life threatening, because it could bleed out.” Jayme immediately dialed her sister, Jenna Dittmar, 32, who lives in Cambridge, England. Jayme started to tell Jenna about the crash, but began to cry. Jenna knew her mother’s injuries were… Read full this story
- 'I'm a lucky man that Barbara Bush was my mother': George W Bush leads tributes as former First Lady dies aged 92, two days after stopping medical treatment with her husband of 73 years by her side until the very end
- Police patrol streets of near-deserted Whaley Bridge by DRONE as evacuated locals fear break-ins and 32 locals refuse to leave their homes as desperate work continues to shore up crumbling dam
- 'Naked' lorry victims fought to escape and banged for help: Police found bloody handprints on the door handle and walls of freezing -25C 'coffin' where 39 migrants died at the hands of people smugglers
- Babysitter dragged like a 'rag toy' during terrifying 45-minute husky dog attack
- 'I am so thankful to have such an amazing person and beautiful daughter in my life during these difficult times': David Warner's loving tribute to fiancée and baby as players fly out of Macksville the morning after Phillip Hughes' funeral
- The women demonised for championing men's rights: They devote their lives to a deeply unfashionable cause — helping 'downtrodden' men in the age of gender politics. And they've provoked a bitter divide...
- Fit and healthy chef Gary Rhodes ‘slipped and hit his head’ before dying according to close friend who reveals his last words to him days before he died were ‘life couldn’t be better’
- Annette Bening, 61, talks about her daughter Kathlyn transitioning to son Stephen: 'He's managed something that's very challenging with great style'
- NY team helping immigrant runners realize American dream
- Why did Sharron Maasz, a much-loved outreach worker, end up dying homeless herself?
Wisconsin champion dog sled racer nearly died. Now her daughters help. have 462 words, post on eu.jsonline.com at January 3, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.