Todd Gilchrist, provided by Published 9:59 am PST, Friday, February 15, 2019 Photo: Hulu Photo: Hulu Image 1 of / 1 Caption Close Image 1 of 1 Photo: Hulu ‘Minding the Gap’ Chronicles a Boyhood Through Skateboarding 1 / 1 Back to Gallery A broken skateboard forms a heart on the poster for “Minding the Gap,” Bing Liu’s documentary about three young men, including himself, who used skating as an escape from their own broken childhoods in Rockford, Ill. Nominated at the 91st Academy Awards, the film is far more than a tribute to the healing powers of an often-vilified sport; it’s a real-life and decidedly more complex version of Richard Linklater’s “Boyhood” filtered through the culture of a community that provided an unexpected home for these, and it turns out, many other kids who felt alienated from, abused or discarded by their real families. Despite his lifelong passion for skateboarding, Liu says he initially tried to avoid making a film that focused on it. “Skateboarding has such a bad rep,” he says. “For years, it’s been a punching bag for mainstream society, so I didn’t want to do a skateboarding film. I always thought of it as this story that… Read full this story
- In Minding the Gap, skateboarding is not just a hobby
- Why Oakland teachers are striking: 'Quite simply, you can't feed the minds of our students by starving their schools.'
- Oscar-nominated documentarian talks to MU students about his film, roots
- Green: Hot-shot QBs like the Los Angeles Rams' Jared Goff endure waiting period
- Green: Rams’ Jared Goff, 24, prepared for another battle of the ages
- Oscar predictions: What will win, what should win
- The AP’s predictions for what will win and what should win at the Oscars
- Freep Film Festival 2019: Here's the full lineup
- Who is the Monster on 'The Masked Singer?' Here are the Internet’s Best Guesses
‘Minding the Gap’ Chronicles a Boyhood Through Skateboarding have 301 words, post on www.sfgate.com at February 15, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.