The sense of dread when passing the South District Police Station is palpable. The source of that apprehension? The “blue lives matter” flag flying over the premises on South Park Avenue. That symbol outside a public building – particularly a police station – sends an unsettling message that should make anyone think twice about what might happen if they or a loved one comes in contact with police. The flag is particularly disturbing in a place like Buffalo, “where we’ve had citizens lose their lives with no threat to police officers,” said Katrinna Martin Bordeaux, chairwoman of the Buffalo Black Lives Matter chapter. The recent examples of that are well known. Rafael “Pito” Rivera – who cops said was holding a gun, though that is not clear from video shown to reporters – was fatally shot by police while running away from them last September. Wardel “Meech” Davis was unarmed when he struggled with police and wound up dead in February 2017, apparently from an asthma attack. And Jose Hernandez-Rossy, 26, also was unarmed when he was shot and killed in May 2017 after a traffic stop went awry and an airbag went off, apparently leading police to think he had fired… Read full this story
- Doc Watson and His Tall Drink O’ Water Merle
- Coronavirus live updates: U.S. death toll exceeds 5,000
- Following Controversy, Hampshire College Is Done With Flags
- Coronavirus lockdown slashes air pollution in China by 25% 'and could save up to 36,000 lives a month' if sustained long-term, study finds
- Boris Johnson's private life matters because it throws light on how he would behave as PM, says STEPHEN GLOVER
- Meghan Markle, Blake Lively, and More Celebs Love This Iconic Dress — and We Found a $30 Lookalike on Amazon
- Deshaun Watson trade rumors: Here's what a potential Patriots-Texans deal could look like
- New York Yankees all-time team: Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Jeter, Rivera ... and even A-Rod
- Faith Matters: Saints' Demario Davis shares his spiritual journey in new book 'The Unsuccessful Champion'
- Paul Lo Duca, ex-MLB catcher, says A-Rod 'one of the fakest people out there' and 'on a pedestal'
Rod Watson: ‘Blue lives matter’ flag should come down – now have 334 words, post on buffalonews.com at February 6, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.