Parkland, Florida (CNN)After the apparent suicides of two students, Parkland is reckoning with the trauma carried by survivors and family members of last year’s mass shooting. The town is back in the national spotlight for how it has been coping — or struggling to cope — with its grief, after a Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student and graduate killed themselves within days of each other. Rattled by the youth suicides, many in the Parkland community are openly discussing mental health and trying to figure out how to help children cope after the Valentines Day 2018 attack. It’s a familiar topic for Kai Koerber, an 18-year-old student at the high school. Parkland suicide deaths highlight long-term psychological impacts of mass shootings “Over the past year, I’ve had friends threaten to kill themselves and I’ve talked them down over the phone,” he said. Read More Despite the semblance of some normalcy, trauma remains bubbling underneath. “They’re afraid to go into classrooms,” Koerber said of friends who’ve struggled. “And even if they’re not afraid to go into the classrooms, it’s the little things in their life that trigger the subconscious PTSD that they’ve experienced. It boils over and for lack of a… Read full this story
- How paying attention to trauma is changing this school
- What impact do state gun laws have on shooting deaths?
- California Wildfires: Live updates from August 25-26
- Fat, felt and a fall to Earth: the making and myths of Joseph Beuys
- Jane Fonda Is a Hard Act to Follow
- The reinvention of radical protest: life on the frontline of the Aids epidemic
- 'Free at last': Jerry Falwell Jr quotes Martin Luther King Jr to say he's 'relieved' after resigning from Liberty University over pool boy sex scandal
- School is starting -- and the broadband gap will be a massive problem
- Mass Shooting Outside Las Vegas’ Mandalay Bay; 50+ Dead, 500+ Sent to Hospital
- Ethiopia After the Revolution: Vultures Return to the Land of Sheba
Parkland community grapples with trauma after apparent suicides of two students have 325 words, post on edition.cnn.com at March 25, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.