Beth LeBlanc and Jonathan Oosting The Detroit News Published 5:46 PM EDT May 28, 2019 Mackinac Island — Just days after the Legislature passed historic no-fault auto reform, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is challenging GOP House and Senate leaders to support her 45-cent gas tax increase or propose another viable plan. In a Tuesday interview with The Detroit News, Whitmer said she has yet to hear of a real alternative to her gas tax increase that could raise the $2.5 billion her administration says is needed to fix state roads and free up dedicated general fund dollars for other top budget priorities like K-12 schools. The portion targeted for roads would be $1.9 billion. No legislator has yet introduced a bill with the governor’s gas tax hike. Several lawmakers have offered to introduce the legislation needed to pass the increase, Whitmer said, but she’s asked them to hold off until the partisan rhetoric on the issue has calmed down. “Some have suggested that there’s an easier or a less difficult way of doing this, but no one’s put any alternative out there that’s real,” Whitmer said the day before the Detroit Regional Chamber’s policy conference is set to launch Wednesday. Senate and House… Read full this story
- Interior Secretary threatens to withhold funds from state and local governments unless they protect monuments
- McCarthy says he'll introduce bill blocking funds for states that don't protect statues
- McCarthy to offer bill withholding funds from states that don't protect statues
- ICYMI: Here’s Gov. Whitmer’s Update On The State’s Response To COVID-19
- Michigan governor orders closure of indoor service at bars in much of the state over coronavirus fears
- REVEALED: Anambra Govt uses concrete to patch roads
- Scott Wiener seeks fund to make city responsible for street trees
- Column: What would private equity funds in 401(k)s mean for retirement savers?
- TikTok, now banned, had donated Rs 30 crore to PM CARES Fund
- Higher ed leaders warn House committee of financial strain
Whitmer: Road funding fix 'next up' for state leaders have 322 words, post on eu.detroitnews.com at May 28, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.