Ten candidates were nominated on Monday in the contest to succeed Theresa May as Conservative Party leader and prime minister, announced the party’s 1922 Committee. The candidates include: Former foreign minister Boris Johnson His successor Jeremy Hunt Environment minister Michael Gove Former Brexit minister Dominic Raab Health minister Matt Hancock Interior minister Sajid Javid International development minister Rory Stewart Former minister Esther McVey Former leader of the House of Commons Andrea Leadsom Conservative lawmaker Mark Harper. The first round of voting to narrow down the race to the final two candidates will take place on Thursday. Theresa May stepped down as the leader of Britain’s ruling Conservative Party leader on Friday, June 7 kickstarting a contest among numerous hopefuls looking to replace her as UK prime minister. She will remain in Downing Street as caretaker prime minister until next month when the Tory leadership race is decided. The outcome will determine the country’s direction in the run-up to October 31, the revised date for the country’s scheduled departure from the European Union. EU leaders agreed an extension of several months after Theresa May failed repeatedly to get the negotiated exit deal through the UK parliament. These are the candidates who’ve… Read full this story
- All European countries must enforce total coronavirus lockdown like Italy within 10 days, ex-Italian PM warns
- 'Not today': Elizabeth Warren declines to endorse Joe Biden or Bernie Sanders after she finally quits presidential race but says she WILL have more to say about 'sexism'
- Who should be the next Tory leader? Our panel responds
- ALL European countries must enforce total coronavirus lockdown like Italy within 10 days, ex-Italian PM warns
- Duran Duran announced for British Summertime Hyde Park 2020 – here’s how to get tickets
- British PM David Cameron resigns
- British PM in China – Economic Areas in Which UK-China Relations Could Improve
- Skiing finals, Italian cycling races canceled due to virus
- NASCAR Announces Races Will Continue Without Fans Amid Coronavirus Concerns
- Tory leadership: 5 fast facts this morning as Boris Johnson finally surfaces
Final 10 announced in race to become British PM and Tory leader have 326 words, post on www.euronews.com at June 1, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.