More than 10 million people were yet to be covered by health insurance as of May 2019, it was reported at an online discussion on sustainable development of health insurance held by the Government portal on June 25.
|Patients register for medical services at the Hanoi-based Saint Paul Hospital (Photo: VNA)|
Bui Sy Loi, Vice Chairman of the National Assembly’s Committee for Social Affairs, said at present 100 percent of pensioners and social welfare beneficiaries, or 3.1 million people, have been covered by health insurance. The rate among working population is more than 90 percent.
He noted that public awareness about health insurance has remarkably improved, with more people joining voluntary insurance.
To achieve the goal of more than 90 percent of the national population covered by health insurance set in the Prime Minister’s Decision 1167/QD-TTg dated June 28, 2016, the NA official said more attention should be paid to students and school children in expanding health insurance coverage.
Statistics of Vietnam Social Security (VSS) showed more than 17 million school children and students joined health insurance in April, 2019, accounting for 94 percent of the total, leaving 6 percent, or 1 million, uncovered.
Participants at the discussion suggested more educational campaigns targeting students on the necessity of health insurance, along with financial support for those in disadvantaged circumstances.
VSS Deputy Director General Pham Luong Son also urged local authorities, schools and other related agencies to strengthen their coordination in the effort.
The health sector should invest more in medical services and insurance agencies should intensify the reform of procedures to facilitate the payment of benefits for the insured, said the participants.
- Small Business Health Insurance - The Best Policy Is A Great Agent
- Don't Fall Victim To A Health Insurance Scam - 10 "Red Flags" You Should Look For
- When health insurance could not ensure health for the poor
- US Rep. Richard Neal criticizes proposed $7 billion in cuts to Children's Health Insurance Program
- Are Republicans really proposing to cut funding for poor kids’ health insurance?
- Taking Out a Health Care Mortgage for a Cure
- Report examines middle-class Americans ‘priced out’ of health insurance
- Report examines Americans ‘priced out’ of health insurance
- Dramatic health insurance rate drop possible next year