One of Simona Halep’s biggest motivations to win Wimbledon was to get a life-time membership of the coveted All England Club. Before the final she had even hoped that the Duchess of Cambridge would cheer for her from the Royal Box.On Saturday, her tennis was just as regal and majestic, as she dispatched seven-time winner Serena Williams 6-2, 6-2 in just 56 minutes to clinch her first Wimbledon and second Major title. She is now the first Romanian ever to win the singles crown at SW19. The mercurial Ilie Nastase was a two-finalist in 1972 and 1976.The big picture“Have you ever played a better match,” Halep was asked after the victory. “Never,” was the pat answer. “It was my mum’s dream. When I was 10 or 12 she had told me that If I had to do something in tennis, I had to play the Wimbledon final. So, thanks to my mum,” 27-year-old said with a wide grin.For Serena, it was a third successive loss in a Major final since her return from maternity and she is still one short of Margaret Court’s record of 24 Majors. If the defeat hurt, the 37-year-old hid it rather well, wholesome as she… Read full this story
- 'La La Land' composer, 2019 Golden Globe nominee talks about creating music for 'First Man'
- 2019 could bring sweet deals on new, used SUVs
- Past comes to life: J.R. Greene publishes 2019 Quabbin History Calendar
- Miami New Year's Eve Party 2019 Guide
- CryptoCurrencyWire Designated Official NewsWire for European Blockchain Investment Congress 2019 (EBIC 2019)
- Cobie Smulders Talks Marvel's 'Wonderfully Created' Universe and 'How I Met Your Mother' Ending
- Advertorial: Wedding Gallery Winter/Spring 2019
- Oscars 2019: Regal to bring Best Picture Film Fest to Knoxville, leaves out 1 nominee
- The full text of Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey’s 2019 inaugural speech
- Miami New Year's Eve 2019 Dining Guide
Wimbledon 2019: Halep brings her regal and majestic best, creates history have 297 words, post on www.thehindu.com at July 13, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.