Date created : 22/08/2019 – 16:05 French President Emmanuel Macron meets with Indian PM Narendra Modi Thursday ahead of the weekend’s G7 summit. The meeting comes as Modi’s government has faced international criticism over its crackdown in the disputed Kashmir region. More than a year after their last summit, Macron and Modi are meeting again Thursday ahead of the weekend’s G7 summit in Biarritz, to which Modi has been invited although India is not a formal member of the grouping.Defense and commercial contracts have dominated the agenda during meetings between French and Indian leaders in recent years. But this time, Modi and Macron are meeting under the shadow of India’s controversial August 5 scrapping of a key constitutional article granting autonomy to the disputed Kashmir region.The scrapping of Article 370 was implemented under an unprecedented lockdown on Kashmir. Thousands of Kashmiris – including prominent political leaders – have been detained, communication lines cut and mobility in the Kashmir Valley has been severely restricted with the deployment of tens of thousands of additional Indian troops in one of the world’s most militarised zones.Ahead of the meeting, French officials said Macron and Modi were set to discuss Kashmir during a working dinner… Read full this story
- Trump visits UN climate summit for 15 minutes just to hear new BFF Modi of India talk – despite calling global warming a 'hoax' concocted by China to hurt American businesses
- Imran Khan warns UN of potential nuclear war in Kashmir
- Kashmir lockdown — an uneasy calm prevails
- Anger boiling over in Kashmir amid continuing lockdown
- MEPs to visit Kashmir after meeting with Indian Prime Minister Modi
- Is Modi-Trump Houston rally an endorsement of India's Kashmir policy?
- Visit Will Give Clear View of Governance Priorities, Says PM Modi Ahead of EU Panel's Kashmir Trip
- Modi-Xi summit: China and India identify terrorism as common challenge
- 'Howdy Modi': thousands of Indian Americans attend Trump rally
- European lawmakers to visit Kashmir today; PM Modi, NSA Ajit Doval brief them on situation in Valley
Macron meets with Modi under shadow of India’s Kashmir clampdown have 323 words, post on www.france24.com at August 22, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.