Magnificent wines and extraordinary cultures make pocket-sized Moldova a superpower of a different sort. The little-known, fabulously fertile strip squeezed between Romania and Ukraine on Europe’s eastern flank is naturally full of good things and plenty of stranger ones too. One definitely for visitors to wonder over is the self-declared republic of Transnistria, a Soviet-style time warp that has broken away although officially still part of Moldova. Just as unforgettable though are the country’s sweet spots – its wines, monumental wineries and their epic tasting sessions. All this is explorer gold for visitors who in places find a pastoral idyll of wide skies and boundless green hills scattered with medieval fortresses and picture-postcard villages. Festooned with flowers and fruits, the cottages and their lush gardens often double as small restaurants, their home-cooked dishes paired with fine reds, sparkling whites and the melodious sounds of folk bands. But glimpses of rusting, deserted factories and half-finished buildings are a telling reality check too, a reminder that this country is seriously hard up, struggling with migration and a turbulent past that hugs it close. Moldova’s map, with its jagged borders, reveals much about those phenomenal fluctuations in fortunes. Situated at a porous crossroads between… Read full this story
- 100 things to do in Wales if you love history
- Europe has a serious shortage of heroes on migration
- Wonder who’s fighting Trump? Meet the #Resistance
- New restaurants, downtown deals for dad and the latest in June dining news
- The Grape From Manchuela
- The 25 best European city breaks for summer 2018 and where to stay
- Recorder letters: Bodgers site, Wild Wanstead, Monkhams’ Green and BBC orchestra
- KWASU is struggling, to get its spacecraft project off the ground
- The ultimate alpine road trip – in the footsteps of 007
- Chasing shadows: Can technology save the slaves it snared?
MOLDOVA: wine, passion, ancient wonders and stranger things in Europe’s latest hotspot have 293 words, post on www.express.co.uk at August 15, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.