It was October 2017 in the US. It was October 2018 in India. Both marked the beginning of a rallying cry against the pervasiveness of sexual harassment and, it was hoped, the end of years of silence over it. Some spoke out in the hope of justice, some in the hope of being heard and some in solidarity. In India last October, the hashtag #MeToo on social media became a scream, a semaphore, as women shared their experiences of being sexually harassed at the workplace by supervisors, colleagues or people they met in the course of earning their livelihood. It was a time of tumult but it also held out hope. The silence was shattered, to some extent. But what has been won and lost? For a year is a long time in the course of a movement. Conversations with lawyers, company representatives, HR consultants and activists reveal that though the Me Too movement has increased awareness about the prevalence of sexual harassment at work and the redress measures available, challenges remain. When the Me Too movement took off in India, after actor Tanushree Dutta and comedian Mahima Kukreja shared their experiences of harassment, it stirred companies into action. “I… Read full this story
- Elisabeth Moss, Tyra Banks, and More on What Has Changed in Hollywood Post-#MeToo
- While the #MeToo backlash raged on in 2019, the movement notched up big gains
- #MeToo cases require more sensitive approach
- Sona Mohapatra shares swimsuit photos, slams trolls for claiming she wears ‘slut clothes’ and then says #MeToo
- Gautam Gulati Shares #MeToo Story; Reveals 10 Years Ago, Someone Tried To Misbehave With Him!
- Did Rose McGowan Call #MeToo 'Bull****'? Campaigner Denies Criticizing Movement
- How whistleblowing became an industry in the wake of #MeToo
- Kevin Spacey’s #MeToo accuser commits suicide
- #MeToo: Subhash Ghai accused of rape, denies allegation; Sajid Khan accused of exposing before a female journalist!
- Deeply pained to be gripped into #MeToo: Subhash Ghai
A year since #MeToo: What has been done is #TooLittle have 315 words, post on economictimes.indiatimes.com at October 10, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.