Hubballi: While the whole nation was involved in cleanliness campaigns to observe
Jayanti, a group of youths united under Chalukya Philatelic and Numismatic Society to celebrate the day differently. They exhibited coins, stamps, postal covers and currencies having Gandhiâs photo. They also showcases stamps from 107 countries which have Gandhiâs portrait.
Thousands of students, teachers and the general public thronged the
organized at Durgadevi High School Hall in Dajiban pet. Aftab Beleri, president of the society, told TOI that the exhibition was organized to sensitize today’s generation on how Gandhi was honoured by the world through coins, stamps, currencies and postal covers. “We are happy that many visitors enquired about our collection and showed more interest to develop the hobby of collecting antiques,â he said.
Pramod Deshpande and Pavankumar Miskin, the other organizers, said antiques like Gandhi tokens that were used by Gandhi and other freedom fighters during agitations and miniature sheets were also showcased in the event. “I had Gandhi memorial stamps from over 40 countries. When we invited the public to exhibit their collection, we got to know that Gandhi’s photo was published in stamps in 107 countries,â said Miskin.
Neelakanth Jadi, an SSK community leader, visited the exhibition and said the rare exhibits were helpful to know Gandhi more. âWe were thrilled to recall Gandhi’s education at Alfred School in Rajkot, his days in Sabaramati Ashram, Quit India Movement and other incidents in this exhibition,â he added.
Bhaskar Jituri, a social activist, said the exhibition focused on Gandhi’s life and it sensitized visitors on our rich history and heritage. âCoins belonging to Shatavahanas, Guptas, Maurya, Vijayanagar and other rulers era, postal covers, even released by private organizations on the occasion of independence day in 1947, took us to the past,â he said.
- Rare Pokemon card attracts record-breaking $50k offers on eBay
- Guy opens old Magic: The Gathering deck, stumbles on $27,000 card
- Geek-A-Week cards: Collect your favorite nerd celebs
- What happens when big pharma buys a lithe biotech?
- Please Appreciate This Magnificent Turn of the Century Seed Catalog Art
- Why The Hell Is This Mercedes 190E Ten Times The Price Of A BMW E30 M3?
- Rare Manuscript Exhibit Explores How Climate Disasters Create Monsters
- Exhibition explores the design challenges of space travel
- The Moon Magically Appears on the Post Office's New Total Solar Eclipse Stamp
- Visit These Destinations for Attractions You Can Only See in 2016