Published 16 October 2019 Share close Share page Copy link About sharing Related Topics Turkey offensive in Syria President Donald Trump’s policies on Syria are a disaster largely of his own making – one that could cost him re-election in 2020, says former US Assistant Secretary of State PJ Crowley. There will not be an article of impeachment that includes Donald Trump’s latest decisions regarding Syria among his alleged high crimes and misdemeanours. But the strategic disaster unfolding following his capitulation to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan could well mark the beginning of the end of the Trump presidency. Trump will survive impeachment – the Republican-controlled Senate is unlikely to convict him – although he continues to be his own worst enemy. The president believes the call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was “perfect.” The transcript the White House released presents strong evidence a crime was committed. But Ukraine has already become a domestic political Rorschach test – there was a quid pro quo but many Trump supporters still choose to see a benign image. Syria is different. It’s not something he can blame on Barack Obama or House Democrats. Notwithstanding the administration’s intent to punish Turkey with fresh sanctions,… Read full this story
- As Week 2 of Public Impeachment Hearings Begin, President Trump Says He’ll Consider Testifying in Writing...But Nobody Believes That Lie
- Turkey says it will launch Syria offensive if US delays pullout
- Trump Launches Tomahawk Missile Strikes After Syria Chemical Attack
- Trump approaches 100-day milestone, but what progress has he made on his agenda?
- The Trump-Blessed War in Northeastern Syria Is Already a Full-Blown Disaster
- Divided UN fails to agree on Turkey's Syria offensive
- Trump 'Unleashed the Gates of Hell' by Green-Lighting Turkey's Syria Invasion, Senator Menendez Says
- Syria anniversary: 7 years of death and displacement as war rages on
- Airstrikes kill 9 in rebel-held northwest Syria
- President Trump Threatens Iran in All Caps on Twitter
Viewpoint: Syria could be beginning of end for Trump have 307 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at October 15, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.